go
Home /Project Gallery /Historic and Listed Buildings /13 Claremont, Hastings Library, Hastings
Client : Baxall Construction
Principal Contractor : David Hayward
Duration : Active - In Progress
Description
Hastings Library is a Grade II listed Brassey Insititue, which is a lovely example of decorative Venetian Gothic architecture. Designed by Walter Liberty Vernon for Thomas Brassey during his period as MP for Hastings and built in 1878.

Lord Brassey opened a free public library in the Institute in 1881, and donated ownership of the whole building, along with a School of Arts to Hastings Council in 1887. The Brassey Institute was awarded Grade II listed building status in 1987, along with the adjoining former FJ Parsons / Observer print works. The building is still used as the Hastings Public Library today.

Barwin were appointed to carry out external refurbishment and cleaning of the building facade. The defective stone and brickwork was cut out by means of hand tools and replaced to match the existing style. 

Scope of works:
  • Lead paint removal to all stonework, front and rear elevation
  • Cement mortar removed for the existing stonework
  • Remmers mortar repair mix applied to restoration areas
  • New stonework fixed to the areas where stonework was too badly eroded
  • Remmers KSE stone strengthener applied to all existing stone work
  • Remmers impregnation primer applied to all stonework
  • Elastoflex façade paint applied to all stonework
  • The total weight of stone delivery to Hastings Library was 11,932.61Kg.